December 18, 2010

Retro Christmas Tree

Instead of the usual Christmas tree this year, I've opted for something a little different. It's completely fake and yet completely authentic all at the same time. It's not just one of those gaudy aluminum Christmas trees... well, yeah, it is, BUT... it's an original aluminum tree, a vintage tree made back in the 1950's.

But it's more than that... this is the very same tree I grew up with, the tree I helped set up every year as a little kid. After sitting in a box for decades and stored in the closet on top of the heating oil tank at mom's house in Massachusetts, I shipped it to the Maui homestead.

I used to play for hours under this tree by the picture window in the living room. Those cold wintry nights were spent warm and cozy by the two floor lights on each side with the rotating color wheels that made the shiny needles change colors and filled the living room with magical light and cast moving shadows on the ceiling and fireplace. I think I can even attribute my interest in stage lighting to these two lights with the motorized color wheels.

The years may have bent a few needles but the tree even brought a big smile to the wife. In fact, she enjoyed decorating it with her butterfly ornaments and the clear balls with the beach sand and seashells inside.

Christmas is a time for making memories. Don't just give a gift to those you love, make it a memory for them to keep always.

Happy Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment